Monday, August 28, 2006

Made in America

I bought a DVD/VCR combo for Christmas last year. A few weeks ago, the picture of every DVD we watched suddenly began playing only in black and white, while the VCR still played in color. Aaron called the company, who said it sounded like a faulty sensor, and that we could send it in for repairs. I finally hauled the thing down to Wal-Mart, and a very helpful young lady shipped it off to Tennessee. Quick as a wink, I got a notice from the company saying that the cost of labor would be $45. We paid about $90 for it, so this is roughly half the cost of just buying a brand new one. The little jewel of a thing is still under warranty, so the company magnanimously informed us they would not charge us for parts. I'm going to call them tomorrow to let them know that I, being a magnanimous person myself, am going to let them keep their broken DVD player that worked correctly for exactly seven months. That I paid over $90 for. That they didn't build correctly. That they now want to charge ME to fix.
I hate big corporations.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home