Friday, March 24, 2006

Missy's near miss

I almost killed our dog a few minutes ago. Time after time, I’ve let her off her run in the backyard to make her own way around the back of the house and through the back door. Today, I didn’t have a box of treats with me like I usually do. And I should have noticed she was a little more hyper than usual, but it didn’t really register in my mind.

As she rounded the corner at top speed, an alarm went off in my head. I picked up speed myself and followed her, yelling at her to go right inside. As I got to the back door, I didn’t see her in her usual place, waiting for me. My heart sank. That very same moment, I heard an incredible screech of tires on the road in front of the house. A huge work truck was bearing down on its breaks as hard as it could. I saw a flash of black and white. For a split second, I wondered if I should call her or not. I couldn’t tell where she was in relation to the truck, and I thought calling out to her might make her run back in front of it. Then I saw her; she had run directly in front of the truck and, scared to death, had kept running, as though she were leading the way as it skidded and slid behind her. It probably saved her life.

“MISSY!” I yelled, “GET BACK HERE!” But she didn’t need me to tell her. Terrified, she had already bounded back up into the yard and onto the front porch. I hadn’t even had time to make it to the front yard yet. The truck went on down the road. I locked Missy onto the front porch with a baby gate as I tried to find our hidden key. There was no way I was going to let her out of my sight to go back around through the back door.

I let Missy in, where she jumped up on the couch. Then she headed toward the back door, which was still open, but thought twice about going out again. I quickly closed that door and then sat down. I called Aaron. As I sat out on the front porch, telling him about it, I could smell burning rubber. The truck had left marks all the way down the road in front of our house.

Missy has been sitting on the couch ever since, peeking out the front window from time to time. I’ve been alternately tearily telling her how much I love her and gruffly chastising her for running away.

I’m gonna have to do some yoga to relax.
Monday, March 13, 2006

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home